Sunday, January 8, 2012

Familiar faces and necessities.

Today was rather a lazy day, which I appreciated. I should note that my definition of "lazy" in this moment is that I didn't purposely run all over Oxford exploring. Last night, I got an email from Ms. Mackin (from DCCS, my high school) that she, Mr. Smalley, and a number of students were in Oxford for the evening and church this morning. I must admit that I wasn't going to go to church (I'm so exhausted from all of the walking that I've been doing), but I really wanted to see them, so I met up with them. The church was only a few blocks from my house, and the service was great! I may end up going again. The only problem was that I misheard the preacher when he mentioned which line of Communion had actual wine. I got in the wrong line (the one that had real wine - and I really do mean that that was a mistake!) so I was totally unprepared for the swig of the most bitter wine I have ever tasted. It took all of my self-control not to start coughing as I walked back from the front of the church. While there, I connected with a girl who's working on her "grad" level work to become a teacher. She's from Liverpool, but her program is in Oxford. She seemed really nice, and I had this epiphany that if I want to make some close friends at Oxford, church might just be a great way to do it! I had wanted to go to a different church every week for the experience, but I'm loving St. Aldate's.
After church, I met up with Sarah, Elyse, and Steve and we went to the Eagle and Child for my first official taste of fish and chips (and British, at that). Spending time with these guys has been so awesome! I love how close we're getting. After lunch, we went to get Sarah a phone (she got the same one that I bought yesterday) and then I got some toiletries from this awesome store called "Poundland." Essentially, it's a dollar store, but with pounds. But they sell full-size bottles of Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner, and other such things, for a pound each. We were going to explore the other half of Oxford that we haven't even looked at, but we're all pretty wiped out.
I'm actually about to sit down to a light dinner of pasta with a little bit of melted butter, as today and the past few days have REALLY worn me out. My roommate is probably going to move some of her stuff in tomorrow, and I'm really excited to meet her! I think that living here for four months will pass by too quickly. I already can't believe that I've been here almost four full days! Honestly, it feels like I just got here, but at the same time, I feel like this place is already becoming home for me. I know shortcuts to get to different places and where to find good deals on things. I also learned how to not blow the fuse that knocks out power and internet to the whole house again... See? I'm already like a native. British accent to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment