Wednesday, January 11, 2012

MIND. BLOWN.

Okay, so today was the first official day of orientation, and I can't stop freaking out. Getting up at 8:30 when I've been getting up around 11 was interesting, but I did indeed get up. At the office, we got a welcome and introduction to both OSAP and Oxford University, had a lunch break (I had yummy homemade chicken soup, made by yours truly!), and after lunch, we all got inducted to the Bodleian Library. I can't wait to go there soon, and I even got my student card!
Tomorrow will be a great day because we'll finally be inducted into our colleges. I'm in New College, which was founded in 1379. I really can't wait to go through induction and have formal dinners in the hall. If anyone is interested in films that were shot at New College, definitely do a Google search. My college has certainly made some interesting appearances, most notably in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, information about which can be found here.
What strikes me most about Oxford (and the reason for the post title) is, quite simply, the sheer history of this place. I went on a walking tour this evening, and I almost starting crying (I was tearing up, but not full-out weeping). I'm just so overwhelmed by how much has occurred here, and hearing stories about Oscar Wilde with his pet lobster and Bill Clinton with his random wanderings in Blackwell has really struck a chord within me. When I was in the Bod today, I didn't even get to see the books, but knowing that there are something like 11 million books around me and underneath my feet for a good portion of the Oxford streets was just mind-boggling. I don't know how people can come here and mess around, not taking their studies seriously. This place is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen, and I've been to some pretty fantastic places. I'm just at a lack of words to describe how connected to the past I feel right now. This is what I've been searching for! The only danger is in the fact that I get severely anti-social when hit with a lot of information and deep, soul-answering observances at once, so I tend to just shut out everything else in order to process. I definitely came back from the walking tour and just sat at the table, staring aimlessly into the existence, and thought about how close I feel to everyone who has ever been here. Years and years and years ago, people fled France and came to Oxford, and now I'm one of the next generations to be allowed the opportunity to study where the elite of the elite studied and walk the same paths that they walked. And my small, little, unimportant brain, which pales in comparison to the geniuses from Oxford, can't even comprehend how much history is packed into such a small area.
Well, I'm wiped out from the lack of sleep last night (four hours, plus I'm getting a cold) and all of the activities that went on today, and I want to make sure that I'm well-rested for induction tomorrow. Good night, friends. I really do miss everyone Stateside, but I wish that everyone could have an opportunity like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment